4 things to look for when buying headphones

CNET’s David Carnoy offers up tips on what you need to know when buying headphones.

Check out our playlists:
Download the new CNET app:
Like us on Facebook:
Follow us on Instagram:

18 thoughts on “4 things to look for when buying headphones

• February 25, 2018 at 7:43 am

Personally I use two sets of headphones for different purposes. For editing or any environment where I’m stationary I use Audio Technical ATH M50X (keep in mind these can make you hot wearing for too long). Anytime I’m on the go and in the gym I’m using my AirPods. If you have an iPhone and are looking for some great sports headphones you can’t go wrong with AirPods, yes they are expensive but I have no buyers remorse. When I’m on the go I don’t care about the best quality sound but more convenience and what’s going to disrupt my lifestyle the least. For all my fellow video editors and music producers (hell even musicians) you really can’t do wrong with M50, extremely good price to performance value and widely used in industry. This is just my opinion though would love to know what your current headphone situation is like.

• February 25, 2018 at 7:43 am

Sound quality
    Price
    Functionality
    Wired or wireless
    Durability
    That’s my list. All must reach a certain level or the headphone is not what I want.
    AirPods can’t tick the “sound quality” part cause it is awful. Anything else is fantastic. Still a no go for me.

• February 25, 2018 at 7:43 am

i man made me feel sleepy. we all know this whole shit. Give me some new info like which headphones i should purchase asshole

• February 25, 2018 at 7:43 am

First thing I look for is, is it a chinese company? If yes, then no.

• February 25, 2018 at 7:43 am

If anyone is needing a headphones that does well at gaming AND music I highly recommend the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X. The soundstage is incredible! I'm always able to pinpoint where enemies footsteps are. The head is very comfortable and it doesn't slide off the head easily. There is very little bass but the bass it does produce is pretty decent. Crisp highs and mids. Only thing is the headset does have a detachable cable. Overall these are my absolute favorite if you don't care that much about bass and just want to clean sound.

• February 25, 2018 at 7:43 am

For me it goes like this

Brand (due to history)