First Look at Google Nest Mini: a $49 smart speaker with a twist

Google’s smallest smart speaker is back with a new name, more features and the same $49 price tag. Let’s take a look.

Google’s Pixel 4 reveal event in 10 minutes:
Google Pixel 4 and 4 XL hands-on first impressions:
Google Nest WiFi hands-on: a smart speaker now with WiFi:

CNET playlists:
Download the new CNET app:
Like us on Facebook:
Follow us on Instagram:

20 thoughts on “First Look at Google Nest Mini: a $49 smart speaker with a twist

• October 20, 2019 at 10:07 am

Google is kinda becoming like Apple making same design product with a new color

• October 20, 2019 at 10:07 am

Can somebody care to test the improved bass with good binaural microphones and bassy music so that we can have a real sense of the improvement? Thanks.

• October 20, 2019 at 10:07 am

So buying a Google home is now throwing away money?? Is this system the same as the Google home but with a build inside WiFi router?

• October 20, 2019 at 10:07 am

I can't even begin to express how disappointed I am in this product… they get rid of Chromecast audio and they don't even bother to add an audio output jack on the new Mini. Google's presentation around this was about whole home audio… but in order to have whole home audio with Google all my speakers need to have the assistant built-in or connected by Bluetooth… Really, just stupid! Is it really that f—ing hard to listen to your customers and put a audio jack in there!!

I have a Chromecast Audio connected to my outdoor speakers in the backyard, it was a great inexpensive and easy solution to get great quality music in the backyard… how long before Chromecast audio is useless and there seems to be no replacement from Google at this point, unless I want to find some stupid Bluetooth adapter.

• October 20, 2019 at 10:07 am

I just bought a Google home mini on Friday from Google shopping because I had a $20 off coupon. I wish I would have known that a new version was coming out. I would have waited.

• October 20, 2019 at 10:07 am

Question is, With the addition of a keyhole for wall mounting did they make any provisions for routing the USB cable or will it just hang out the top and around the device? If they were smart they would make it so that you could flip it around so that the jack would be on the bottom and the buttons would automatically adjust so that volume up and down were on the correct of the device.

• October 20, 2019 at 10:07 am

Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to see that the new product is not offering built in Chromecast audio. 🙁 It was rumored that it would have an 1/8” audio jack for sending out audio to music systems with auxiliary inputs. I was really hoping the new mini would work as a replacement for the now discontinued Chromecast Audio. Bummer.

• October 20, 2019 at 10:07 am

Will the new Sound Detection AI feature come to the older Mini? Do you need to pay for Nest Aware to get this feature?

• October 20, 2019 at 10:07 am

Lmao am I the only one when she said hey goggle play music my goggle played music 😂