Start me up: Watch CNET's early coverage of Windows 95, back in 1995

CNET’s Video Vault:
CNET’s first impression of Windows 95 was that it would create a huge impact, what with the long file names, taskbar and a recycle bin for unwanted files. Check out this vintage review along with Microsoft’s own promotional video that went with the launch.

Watch more CNET videos:
Follow CNET on Twitter:
Follow CNET on Facebook:

27 thoughts on “Start me up: Watch CNET's early coverage of Windows 95, back in 1995

• March 23, 2019 at 11:40 am

My mom came home with a computer in 1995, from her job at Unitek. She set it up in the living room, and it was Windows 3.1 I believe. It sucked. It was good for typing, paint, and that was really it. Then I started using her boyfriend's computer in 1996 to play Doom, I think Windows 95. Finally in 1997 I got on the internet. I was typing in "Alice in chains" into the search bar wondering why nothing was happening right (funnily enough, you can do that now). Then when I found out how to search and that I'd just get a list of results, like google, I thought it seemed lame to be honest. And the color scheme on that computer was customized neon yellow or something hideous on Win 95. The whole thing graphically just looked completely ugly. I would have much rather had a SNES with a bunch of games in 1997.

• March 23, 2019 at 11:40 am

Plug and Play never worked as advertised. Win 95 was pretty good but I had to do a format/reinstall every six months as something would get corrupted. I got to be an expert at this and the pc always ran great for two months after each format/install. Then error messages started and the occasional blue screen of death. Anyone remember that. And after you got tired of the blue screen of death a format/reinstall cleared it all up. Until next time. WinXP was the first Windows that actually worked great. '98 and Millenium meh. XP was the bomb. 7 was even better. Then 8 sucked so bad they skipped 9 and went straight to 10. 10 is good.

I'd rank the good versions as Win 7, then XP, then 10 though XP and 10 are neck and neck.

In any case, ahhh the good old days.

• March 23, 2019 at 11:40 am

Do you remember those good ol' days when monitors were big enough so we could put things like miniature cars over them?